Anxiety-related disorders affect a huge segment of our population – 40 million adults in the US alone. Big pHARMa has developed many drugs to ‘treat’ these disorders. These include SSRIs – Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac and Zoloft. They also market tranquilizers like Valium and Xanax. Side effects have a huge range. The less serious effects may include:
- drowsiness, dizziness, irritability
- blurred vision, headaches, memory loss and loss of concentration
- insomnia or light sleep
- swelling in extremities
- slurred speech, loss of balance and coordination
- diarrhea, constipation, nausea or vomiting
- increased sweating, irregular heartbeat and appetite changes
The more serious side effects include:
- cognitive dysfunction
- withdrawls and addiction
- depression, anxiety and even suicidal thoughts (isn’t that interesting!)
What big pHARMa doesn’t want you to know is that anxiety and stress can absolutely be treated naturally. You probably won’t be surprised to see that our natural list of treatments is almost identical to that for ADHD. I will copy and paste at the bottom of this article but they include sunshine, exercise, healthy diet, EO’s, ACV, CBD, and some supplements. I will add to that list and suggest better time management. Anxiety doesn’t always have a valid excuse to be present but I find that when I’m anxious it’s usually because I have too much going on. I get overwhelmed very easily and start to really stress out. The physical effects of this stress can be quite strong. So, I can do one of two things – 1) prioritize and 2) learn to say no. Take the time to find out what’s most important, what really needs to be done. Then feel comfortable enough to admit that the rest will just have to wait until tomorrow. This doesn’t mean leave the dirty dishes for 3 days in a row. If you have time to read this, you have time to do the dishes!
A few other things I will add to calm your nerves are:
- Chamomile – this tea binds to the same receptors as tranquilizers.
- Hops – hops is a sedative that can be found in extracts and tinctures
- Valerian – take in a capsule to help you rest
- Lemon Balm (Melissa) – combine with the above three for a great nights rest
- Passionflower – we buy the natural concentrate and make a huge pitcher with chia and limes. It’s a lovely drink for the evening to help you relax.
- Lavender – I know I mentioned this in the ADD/ADHD list but lavender is a life saver! Buy the eo, plant the plants in your garden, diffuse it, drink it. Use it however you want but you need lavender in your life!
- Chocolate – what?!?! It’s true!
- Grounding – take your shoes off and go outside. Go to the beach or grass, or even the dirt. It doesn’t matter just let your body reconnect with nature.
- Leave your phone at home – You don’t need to take a selfie while grounding. Just stand there in the sun with your eyes closed and breathing deeply. In and out through your nose.
- Meditation – this can be so hard to do in our fast paced world which makes it that much more important! The Bible says we are to meditate on His Word (Joshua 1:8) and that our meditation should be pleasing to Him (Psalm 104:34) So choose a verse or passage and just repeat it in your mind. Let it sink into your spirit. I’ll give you a few examples that are good for anxiety: Be strong, do not fear; your God will come (Isaiah 35:4a); Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you…Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid (John 14:27); Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9). These are just a few of the many verses you can meditate on to bring calm and peace.
- Go easy on yourself. If you’re doing all you can do, with the information you have, then let go! Learn to appreciate yourself. Learn to forgive yourself! Make changes in baby steps. Don’t expect your whole life to change in a day. Just keep moving forward!
I would like to remind you that even though you employ these natural treatments, you CANNOT just stop your meds cold turkey. You HAVE to taper off. It is very dangerous to just quit taking brain meds. I don’t care if your doctor said it’s ok, it is not. He will not be responsible if something bad results so you need to be!
Below are the natural treatments that we suggest for ADD/ADHD which will also be extremely important in treating Anxiety.
- Food color and preservatives. As hard as you may find it, it is super important to avoid both preservatives and food dyes and colors. That means all the packaged food. All the chips, candy, all of it. Especially the red dye no 40. You will see a huge change in both behavior and concentration just with this one tweak.
- Allergens. Elimination diets can be fruitful when managing behavioral issues. Try a few weeks cutting out each and keep notes on how behavior is affected. Meat, dairy, eggs, chocolate, chemical additives could all have an effect on your child. Try eliminating one at a time. Also consider eliminating berries, apples, grapes and oranges, just temporarily while you watch their reactions.
- Calming activities and exercise. Breathing techniques, meditation, yoga or martial arts. Exercise releases endorphins and helps calm. It relieves anxiety and hyperactivity in the young and old. There is nothing that can improve behavior more than a healthy, active lifestyle
- Get outside. Vitamin D is not produced naturally by your body. You need a minimum of 20 minutes outdoors every single day. No sunscreen and not in the shade. If you live in an extremely hot area, go out in the morning or afternoon.
- Supplements. Vitamins and minerals play a huge role. Our moods and emotions do not come from our brain only but from our gut. It is important to balance both. My suggestions are DAILY usage of the following:
- CBD oil – CBD helps to level out our emotions. It is known to greatly reduce stress and anxiety as well as depression. CBD has less than .03% THC and is non psychoactive, making it safe for kids. If you have questions please read the other articles here on our website and email us directly at email@example.com
- Magnesium – daily mag spray and supplement in a capsule. At least once a week bathe in Epsom salts with lavender eo. I recommend Thorne mag capsules and spray.
- L-carnitine and L-theanine – Both supplements are known to help focus and concentration, as well as lift spirits.
- Vitamin B 6 and B 12
- ACV – I strongly recommend Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar for mood and behavior. Make a big ‘lemonade’ each morning. In a large glass of ice water squeeze two limes and a tablespoon of ACV. After a week or so you should see dramatic changes.
- Essential Oils. I use oils daily for all sorts of reasons. In this case lavender is very beneficial. Lavender can be used topically or in a diffusor to calm and soothe. I also recommend the Serenity blend by doTerra. Consider switching out your beauty and cleaning products for natural oils. Start simple. Ditch the beach and instead use white vinegar. Leave some orange peels soaking in it for a few weeks. Add lemon, orange or thieves oil and use that on floors and surfaces.
At BajaHempCo we want to see you happy and healthy and off the meds. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or message our page on facebook. I will be happy to share any insights or information I may have with you.
2 thoughts on “Anxiety – how can I natually treat my anxiety?”
Found your blog on Google and I should say that I wholly adored reading it. I’m going to bookmark
Thank you. We appreciate you coming to check us out!